Monday 2 May 2011

Our Hazel, on Fox News.

Though my photography studio is downtown, I have lived in Mississauga practically since most of it was still farm land.  I greatly admire our mayor, her astuteness, forthrightness, her courage and stamina.  She demonstrates this last quality often,   e.g. I remember seeing the photograph of her last year, at 89, bicycling to City Hall-in Mississauga, in support  of "Leave your Car at Home" week.   I was so sorry that I did not get to take that photo!  (I did interview and photograph her for an editorial piece a little earlier on. She told me her late husband was a photographer too. and so, we hit it off, ---though she did tell me that I was lucky that her dog liked me,  or else----no dice.  Oh yes, I'd better explain that this was at her home.
Hazel's popularity extends across the border too. Last Saturday for example, she appeared on  Mike Huckabee's TV show. She was billed as the 90 year old mayor who slashed her city's debt and balanced its budget. It was a regular love-in as Huckabee praised McCallion and mentioned she won 76 per cent of the vote in the last election.
Huckabee ended the segment by presenting McCallion with a New York Rangers jersey which he acknowledged she probably wouldn't want to wear in public---and he was right!   ---as you can see on the cover of Mississauga life!

No comments:

Post a Comment