Friday 20 May 2011

Celebrated Toronto Photographer

I would not want Photography Month to go by, without mentioning the city's most celebrated photographer,   Edward Burtynsky. He is showing his series about oil at the ROM this month, presented with the Ryerson Gallery and Research Centre and Scotiabank Group.
Burtynsky's lens conveys an impassive threat; a slow-moving industrial vampirism . These photographs are about humankind and what we have made of the earth.  I find them disturbing,--which, I think, is probably the artist's intention.
By the way, for those photographers who are still debating film-versus-digital, here is what he says; "My new digital Hasselblad gets better results doing aerial work than I could ever get with film"


Ed Burtynsky










No comments:

Post a Comment