Sunday 18 May 2014

EVENT PHOTOGRAPHY IS SUCH FUN!

There is a saying; "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life!"  Yesterday's assignment reminded me of this
. Because  I really enjoyed  covering a very special event held in Mississauga's Celebration Square, -it did not feel like work.
The event was the Mississauga Halal Food Fest 2014.  Great music, terrific entertainers and good food, made this event a huge success.  And for those who love to shop  (who doesn't?)--there were stalls of exotic merchandise   Ladies in equally exotic, colourful dresses crowded around , to examine the goods.
For one day, it was as if I was transported to an exciting, faraway land --without having to leave home.
I was in seventh heaven, capturing the colours, the action, the fun-----in an altered state, I would say, ----when suddenly I looked up and saw it………
There, high in the blue sky above us, was this thing…..this flying……vehicle. I was astonished . Did not know what to make of it!  It was not like any plane or helicopter I had ever seen before.(Flying saucers came to mind.) It was coming closer…..and closer!  It hovered a little while--as if to allow me to click furiously and capture some photos. Then, it disappeared, as fast as it came. I looked quizzically at one of the  VIPs in the audience's front row, just before taking his close-up. Seeing my bewilderment  at what I just saw,  he quickly put me out of my misery----by explaining that the strange object in the sky was nothing more than a drone,  with the mission of taking photos  from above.
Hah!  Can we photographers be soon replace by a machine?   Not a chance! ----and this is the lesson here;   Photography is an art---one of self-expression. Photographers endeavour  to elicit an emotion in the viewer. They capture a mood, not just record a scene or an event.  This requires the empathy and warmth of a human being who loves her/his job.































                                         …...and the celebration continued into the night….
                                       

Oh yes! …and how can I forget?   Ta daaaah!  Ladies and gentlemen, ---the flying saucer…….er…..I   mean……….     DRONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment